- 2 strips bacon, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/2 tsp celery seeds
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 4 small red-skinned potatoes, quartered
- 1/2 head broccoli, broken into florets, stem peeled and sliced
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 8 slices baguette
- 4 oz cheddar cheese, cut into 8 thin slices
- Cook the bacon in the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat until the fat renders slightly, about 2 minutes.
- Add the onion, garlic and celery seeds and cook until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Scatter the flour over the mixture and stir to coat.
- Gradually add the broth and milk, whisking until smooth.
- Add the potatoes and sliced broccoli stem; increase the heat to medium and simmer, covered, until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli florets and season with 1/2 tsp salt.
- Continue cooking, uncovered, at a rapid simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, position the rack in the upper part of the oven and preheat the broiler to high.
- Spread the mustard on each piece of baguette and top with a cheddar slice.
- Place on a baking sheet and broil until the cheese melts; serve with the soup.
Courtesy of Food Network Magazine: Great EASY Meals